If my parent has ADHD, what are the chances that I will have ADHD?

If your parent has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), you have a 30% chance of being diagnosed with ADHD. About 5% of adults in the United States have ADHD. This means that most people only have a 5% chance of being diagnosed with the disorder in their lifetimes. However, children born to adults with ADHD have a 30% chance of having the disorder.

According to the Attention Deficit Disorder Association, ADHD has clear genetic links, although environmental causes play a part as well. Overall, people who have relatives with ADHD are much more likely to have ADHD than others. If your parent has ADHD and you experience symptoms of hyperactivity, impulsivity, or inattention, you may want to speak to a doctor.

Thanks Dad! I love the hairy chest you gave me! And Mom, the clear blue eyes I got from you are totally awesome! It is often easy to see where we get our personalities and appearances. Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is no exception. While we don’t know the exact odds of you developing ADHD, we do know that if Mom or Dad has or had ADHD, you have about a 20% to 40% chance of developing it. That is about four to six times higher than another child whose parents never had ADHD.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Causes

What environmental factors cause ADHD?
Multiple studies show that environmental factors may contribute to the development of attention defi...
Who can develop attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Estimates suggest that about 2 million children (3 percent to 5 percent) have ADHD. Boys are two to ...
Does Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Run In Families?
ADHD vs. ADD
ADHD vs. ADD