Do I need a blood test to evaluate my acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Acne is a condition of the skin. In general, blood tests are not usually indicated for people with acne unless certain conditions related to hormonal imbalance are suspected. In these cases, there may be excessive androgen production from either the adrenal gland or the ovary. In these cases, the workup often includes the measurement of selective androgens in the blood that are produced by these glands.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne

Avoiding Adult Acne
Avoiding Adult Acne
Won't they ever go away? As an adult, you expect pimples to be a thing of the past. But for many adults, blemishes continue to mar otherwise healthy s...
Does the sun help acne?
Ashley LazzariniAshley Lazzarini
NOPE! Sun doesn't help, but it does help produce Vitamin D3 which is an antioxidant that helps keep ...
6 Weird Facts About Acne
6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne6 Weird Facts About Acne
Discover bizarre truths about acne and learn how to fight a bad breakout.
What Is a Blackhead?
What Is a Blackhead?