Do I need a blood test to evaluate my acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Acne is a condition of the skin. In general, blood tests are not usually indicated for people with acne unless certain conditions related to hormonal imbalance are suspected. In these cases, there may be excessive androgen production from either the adrenal gland or the ovary. In these cases, the workup often includes the measurement of selective androgens in the blood that are produced by these glands.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne

what is big-event acne ?
Weddings and speeches can send stress soaring like nothing else. From your mother’s suggestions for ...
is a pimple an infection ?
All types of pimples are caused when skin oil, called sebum, and dead skin cells clog pores. When th...
what is acne ?
Acne is a skin condition that includes pimples and cysts found most often on the face, back, and che...
how does salicylic acid treat acne ?
how does salicylic acid treat acne ?