Can acne scarring cause wrinkles?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
Acne scarring accentuates wrinkles later in life. It creates mini "facial crumple zones" throughout the face, particularly just below the corners of the mouth. The bacteria responsible for acne actually eat away at the dermis. Decades later, when the skin thins, the weakened dermis crumples in old acne scarred areas.
Straight Talk about Cosmetic Surgery (Yale University Press Health & Wellness)

The public’s recent exuberance toward cosmetic surgery has spurred an unprecedented demand for appearance-changing procedures. But how can an average consumer discern the hype from solid truth? ...

Continue Learning about Acne

Is a pimple an infection?
All types of pimples are caused when skin oil, called sebum, and dead skin cells clog pores. When th...
What is the alternative to popping a pimple?
If you take a sterilized needle (stick it in boiling water or hold it over a flame), you can pok...
When should I call my doctor if I have acne?
You should call a doctor about your acne if it does not go away after several months of good ski...
What role does diet play in acne?
Many people blame junk food for their acne, but this is a misconception -- the truth is that acn...