What is the difference between paracetamol and ibuprofen?

Paracetamol (more commonly known as acetaminophen) and ibuprofen are both pain relievers, but there are a few differences between them. The primary difference is that ibuprofen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), meaning that it treats inflammation. Paracetamol does not. For example, paracetamol can be taken to treat the pain of arthritis, but it does not treat the inflammation of the joint that causes the pain. Another difference between the two is that compared to ibuprofen, paracetamol might cause less stomach discomfort. Also, the two pain relievers have different drug interactions.

Continue Learning about Acetaminophen

What can I take instead of acetaminophen or ibuprofen for pain relief?
Instead of relying on one medication to relieve your constant pain, you can switch back and fort...
When should I avoid taking acetaminophen?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
You should not take acetaminophen-containing products if you consume three or more alcoholic dri...
How to Treat a Bee Sting
How to Treat a Bee Sting
What is Acetaminophen?
What is Acetaminophen?