What is a safe alternative to acetaminophen for children?

Children's ibuprofen (such as Children's Motrin) is a safe alternative to acetaminophen for children.  
Circumstantial evidence suggests a possible connection between the use of acetaminophen and the increasing rate of childhood asthma over the past three decades. However, two UCLA experts caution that there’s not enough proof of a link to advise that parents should stop giving the drug to their infants and children.

For parents who are uncomfortable with using acetaminophen for their children, ibuprofen can be an alternative, say UCLA pediatric pulmonologist Sande Okelo, M.D., and Eric Curcio, M.D., a pediatrician at UCLA Medical Center, Santa Monica. But parents should note that ibuprofen is generally not recommended for children under six months of age.

Continue Learning about Acetaminophen

How does acetaminophen relieve arthritis pain?
Matthew F. McCarty, MDMatthew F. McCarty, MD
We are not sure. Acetaminophen or Tylenol is great for headache, pain and fever reduction but does v...
Can I take acetaminophen when pregnant?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Although acetaminophen is generally less effective for treating headache than aspirin or nonster...
Can I Take Too Much Acetaminophen?
Can I Take Too Much Acetaminophen?
Play It Safe When You Take Acetaminophen