Question

Women's Health

Should I douche to get rid of vaginal discharge, pain or itching?

• No. Douching may even make these problems worse. It is very important to call your doctor right away if you have:

Vaginal discharge with a bad smell Thick, white or yellowish-green discharge with or without a smell Burning, redness, and swelling of the vagina or the area around it Pain when urinating Pain or discomfort during sex

These may be signs of a bacterial infection, yeast infection, urinary tract infection, or STI. Do not douche before seeing your doctor. This can make it hard for the doctor to figure out what is wrong.

This answer is based on source information from The Federal Government Source for Women's Health Information.

• AKevin Windom, MD, Obstetrics & Gynecology, answered

No. Douching should only be used for feminine hygiene. If you think that you may have an infection then you should decide if it is a yeast or bacterial vaginal infection. A yeast infection can be treated with a three day course of an over the counter antifungal medication. A bacterial infection needs to be evaluated by a doctor because it might need to be treated with oral or vaginal antibiotics.

Can douching help me in treating the odor from my vagina?