What can my kids do instead of watching TV?

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics

Almost anything is better than watching TV. The hard part is keeping them away from the TV, once they have gotten used to it. It is instant entertainment with no work.

First, make sure the TV is out of their bedroom. Next, make sure you are not watching TV all day. Your kids learn by example. If you watch TV, they will too. If you exercise daily, they are more likely to pick up the good habit.

Start with activities that are fun like going to the park or enrolling them in soccer. If you can get them to do another activity long enough to forget about TV, you have succeeded. By varying the activities and trying to involve other neighborhood kids (with their parents’ permission), your child will be more likely to stay engaged and away from the TV.

Iris Rodriguez-Johnson, MD
Pediatrics
The best thing to do for your children instead of watching television is to get them active. Have them join a sport or dance or gymnastics. If you cannot afford that get them outside. Go for a walk with them. Share in the activities with them. If they see that you are not watching television and are active with them they will appreciate it even more.

Continue Learning about Parenting

how to help your child handle pain
how to help your child handle pain
It a bad idea to fib about or downplay the possibility of pain your child may experience when unpleasant tests or procedures need to be done . after a...
top 9 ways to be an even better parent
top 9 ways to be an even better parent
every child is unique , with unique dna , unique fingerprints , a unique personality , and a unique path to adulthood . although you can not smooth al...
how can i encourage my child creativity ?
Help your kids get back to basics by steering them away from the television, video game system, and ...
how do i know if my family is watching too much tv ?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Have you ever really stopped to track how much TV you and your kids do watch during the weekends...