Question

Blood Basics

Should I wait to donate blood if I have received a vaccination?

• AAmerican Red Cross answered

You may donate blood if you were vaccinated for influenza, tetanus or meningitis, providing you are symptom-free and fever-free. This includes the Tdap vaccine. You may donate blood if you received an HPV Vaccine, for example, Gardasil.

The list below shows the wait times for donating blood after receiving a vaccination:

- Wait 4 weeks after immunizations for German Measles (Rubella), MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella), Chicken Pox and Shingles.

- Wait 2 weeks after immunizations for Red Measles (Rubeola), Mumps, Polio (by mouth), and Yellow Fever vaccine.

- Wait 21 days after immunization for hepatitis B as long as you are not given the immunization for exposure to hepatitis

- Wait 8 weeks (56 days) from the date of having a smallpox vaccination as long as you have had no complications. Complications may include skin reactions beyond the vaccination site or general illness related to the vaccination.

Guidelines on eligibility to give blood change from time to time. The most up-to-date eligibility information can be obtained by contacting the American Red Cross blood center nearest you.

Can lesbians donate blood if they do not have other risk factors?