Do women's vaginal lubrication levels change with age?

Evelyn Minaya, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

Aging affects a woman's hair color, skin and muscle tone, but does it impact her vaginal lubrication? In this video, obstetrician and gynecologist Dr. Evelyn Minaya talks about the effect of passing years -- and other factors, as well. 

Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Psychiatry
It is very common to see lubrication happen quickly in a woman when she is young (teens to early 20s), in the early stages of a relationship, or when very intensely excited by something new. But the brain being what it is, a person becomes accustomed to a certain set of stimuli -- even if those stimuli are exciting. Because of this, the lubrication effect happens more slowly. It's like the brain is saying "Yeah I like this, but I already know what's coming." In fact, it is not uncommon for women to need some stimulation for 5, 10, even 15 minutes or more before they can experience this lubrication. This does not mean that a woman in not physical or emotionally excited.  Actually, a woman may very easily reach orgasm without having natural lubrication and she will find that she becomes very wet after the orgasm. There is also a great deal of variation between women and the rate and amount that they produce natural lubrication, just as there is great variation in men and their production of pre-cum.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Worst Case Scenario . . . I Left My Tampon In Too Long
When you’re having a busy day, changing your tampon can be the last thing on your mind. Waiting too long to change it, however, can lead to serious he...
Can oligomenorrhea cause any complications?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
The complications caused by oligomenorrhea, or infrequent menses, depend on and are more related to ...
The Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than Men
The Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than MenThe Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than MenThe Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than MenThe Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than Men
The unique ways women are affected by STIs, plus tips on prevention.
How Can Uterine Fibroids be Treated?
How Can Uterine Fibroids be Treated?