Women's Health

Which doctors can do my Pap smear?

• A Family Medicine, answered on behalf of

Some family doctors do provide routine Pap smears as one of many standard services that they offer, but check with your doctor to be sure. Doctors who practice family medicine may treat people of both genders and ages ranging from newborn up to elderly.

If your doctor determines that you need more specialized care, you may be referred to a gynecologist (a specialist in women's health). Your doctor can work together with the gynecologist to make sure all of your healthcare needs are met.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • Many family doctors do Pap smears as part of the routine preventive healthcare services that they provide to their patient population. Family doctors are trained in care of both genders throughout the lifespan (from babies to elderly populations). To be sure if your family doctor does Pap smears routinely, it is best to ask him or her directly if this is a service he or she offers. If it is determined that you need further specialized care in women's health, family doctors also work closely with gynecologist specialists to ensure a woman's comprehensive healthcare needs are met.
How can I choose the right breast screening method?