What causes low body temperature?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Low body temperature or hypothermia occurs when more heat is lost than the body can generate. It is usually caused by extended exposure to the cold. Common causes include: being outside without enough protective clothing, exposure to cold water, or wearing wet clothing in windy or cold weather. As people develop hypothermia, their ability to think and move is lost slowly. In fact, many people are unaware that they need emergency treatment. Someone with hypothermia from exposure is also likely to have frostbite. The symptoms of hypothermia include: drowsiness, weakness and loss of coordination, pale and cold skin, confusion, uncontrollable shivering, slowed breathing or heart rate. Lethargy, cardiac arrest, shock, and coma can set in without prompt treatment. Another cause of low body temperature is septicemia or a wide-spread infection in the body.

Continue Learning about Wellness

Ask Oz and Roizen: Alternatives to Sugary Drinks and AFib Treatments
Q: My son and his bicycling and skateboarding buds have all fallen under the spell of marketing campaigns for sodas and power and sports drinks. I can...
What are some substances that my body must detoxify?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
Your body needs to detoxify substances from outside the body (exogenous) and those made inside the b...
5 Things GPs Wish Their Patients Would Do
5 Things GPs Wish Their Patients Would Do5 Things GPs Wish Their Patients Would Do5 Things GPs Wish Their Patients Would Do5 Things GPs Wish Their Patients Would Do
These simple, expert-approved health tips could save your life.
The Doctors Are In!
The Doctors Are In!