What do we learn from the ancient teachings about service and giving?

Master Stephen Co
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

Here is take on the importance of service and giving from ancient teachings. Taoist sages explained that nature is governed by a law of cycles. These cycles manifest in the world in such dual-faceted principles as light and dark, inhaling and exhaling, drawing in energy and putting forth energy, and giving and receiving. Each of the two elements in the pair is defined in relation to its opposite, and both are necessary for balance or equilibrium in the world. You can’t have light without dark, and you can’t inhale without exhaling. When there is an imbalance - too much or not enough of one or the other - this law is broken, and it creates a problem that nature will correct. Thus, if someone wants only to receive but not give, eventually nature will see to it that the person is unable to receive. Alternatively, if someone wants always to give but never receive - the person is unable to accept graciously - eventually nature will see to it that the person is unable to give. To be properly balanced and to be in harmony with natural law, we must be able both to give and to receive. Giving or providing service, whether you are offering love, time, money, or talent, creates a vacuum that enables you to receive more of what you gave. Receiving graciously, in turn, replenishes you and enables you to give even more. Service is thus part of the natural cycle of the universe and an important part of your physical, psychological, spiritual, and even financial health.

The principle of service is summarized perfectly in the simple phrase “As you give, so shall you receive.”

Your Hands Can Heal You: Pranic Healing Energy Remedies to Boost Vitality and Speed Recovery from Common Health Problems

What if one of the most effective tools you have to restore your health is not surgery or medications, but your own hands? Incredibly, your hands can heal you -- with the "energy medicine" of Pranic...

Continue Learning about Wellness

These People Can Help You Reach Your Goals
Wish you could lay off the potato chips better? Then spend more time with someone who's got excellent self-control. Research shows that thinking abou...
Can my clothing make me tired?
Getting too comfortable may actually make you more tired. Baggy and stretchy clothing makes it m...
Surprising Ways Home Decor Can Boost Your Happiness
Surprising Ways Home Decor Can Boost Your HappinessSurprising Ways Home Decor Can Boost Your HappinessSurprising Ways Home Decor Can Boost Your HappinessSurprising Ways Home Decor Can Boost Your Happiness
Simple tricks to help rejuvenate your home, de-clutter your life and clear your mind.
Why Am I Cold All the Time?
Why Am I Cold All the Time?