Can I donate blood after I have had RNY bariatric surgery?

Yes you can donate blood after surgery as long as you are at least 3-month post op and have had lab work that shows you are recovering well. You would have to have a normal red blood cell count and a normal hematocrit and hemoglobin count to be a candidate to donate blood.

If you are experiencing weakness, fatigue, dizziness, or lightheadedness you should not consider donating blood at this time as you may have anemia or blood pressure concerns that should be addressed before you donate blood.

If you are considering donating blood in the future, you should make an appointment with your doctor to review this lab work to ensure blood donation is not a concern.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Weight loss surgery procedures, including liposuction, gastric bypass, gastric botox and Lap Band surgery are viable options for those needing help with excessive weight loss. But they aren't without their risks. Weight loss surge...

ry procedures should only be performed on individuals for whom regular diet, exercise and medication didn't prove effective. Check out the answers below for more information on how weight loss surgery has advanced over time and which one might be best for you.