Can I donate blood after I have had RNY bariatric surgery?

Yes you can donate blood after surgery as long as you are at least 3-month post op and have had lab work that shows you are recovering well. You would have to have a normal red blood cell count and a normal hematocrit and hemoglobin count to be a candidate to donate blood.

If you are experiencing weakness, fatigue, dizziness, or lightheadedness you should not consider donating blood at this time as you may have anemia or blood pressure concerns that should be addressed before you donate blood.

If you are considering donating blood in the future, you should make an appointment with your doctor to review this lab work to ensure blood donation is not a concern.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Post Weight-loss Surgery Nutrition
Post Weight-loss Surgery Nutrition
If you’re one of the 250,000 people in North America who had weight-loss surgery last year, it’s important to avoid nutritional deficiencies that can ...
How do I talk to my doctor about weight loss surgery?
Mohsin Q. Soliman, MDMohsin Q. Soliman, MD
To talk to your doctor about weight loss surgery, simply express to your doctor your inability to su...
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery4 Most Common Types of Weight Loss Surgery
Find out what to expect from bariatric surgery, including gastric bypass, lap band, sleeve gastrectomy and intragastric balloon, if you just can’t los...
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?