question

Can I donate blood after I have had RNY bariatric surgery?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Donna Hill Howes, RN
answer

Yes you can donate blood after surgery as long as you are at least 3-month post op and have had lab work that shows you are recovering well. You would have to have a normal red blood cell count and a normal hematocrit and hemoglobin count to be a candidate to donate blood.

If you are experiencing weakness, fatigue, dizziness, or lightheadedness you should not consider donating blood at this time as you may have anemia or blood pressure concerns that should be addressed before you donate blood.

If you are considering donating blood in the future, you should make an appointment with your doctor to review this lab work to ensure blood donation is not a concern.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Procedures and Surgeries

Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You?
Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You?
Many people view weight loss surgery the way they view steroids in sports: They think it's cheating, it's unnatural, it's an unfair advantage, it's cu...
What can I expect at my first appointment to discuss bariatric surgery?
You will have a history taken at the time of your appointment to discuss bariatric surgery. Learn mo...
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
Dispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery MythsDispelling 6 Weight-Loss Surgery Myths
We're separating fact from fable when it comes to bariatric surgery. If you're looking to lose a lot of weight and are considering weight-loss surgery...
Life After Weight Loss Surgery: 5 Things You Might Not Expect
Life After Weight Loss Surgery: 5 Things You Might Not ExpectLife After Weight Loss Surgery: 5 Things You Might Not ExpectLife After Weight Loss Surgery: 5 Things You Might Not ExpectLife After Weight Loss Surgery: 5 Things You Might Not Expect
Bathroom habits, relationships and even your mood may shift. In recent years, bariatric surgery has garnered some serious attention, and for good rea...