Weight Loss Strategies

Why is it so hard to lose fat in my butt?

• ADr. Mehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered
    Dr. Oz - Why is it so hard to lose fat in my butt?
    There are many biological hurdles to losing fat in your butt. Watch this video to find out why it can be extra hard to slim your behind.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • Genetics dictates where your body burns fat.  For example, you may desire to lose weight in your hips and buttocks, but very often, the place you most want to lose it is the last place it burns. This is known as spot reducing and it doesn’t work. You cannot burn fat in one particular area on your body. While it's true that you can build muscle in different locations of your body such as your legs and buttocks based on what strength-training exercises you do, there's no way to "spot reduce" fat.  Lastly, women tend to carry more fat in their lower body and buttocks to aid in child-bearing.

How can I lose weight all over my body?