What muscles are most important for water polo?

The core, legs, and lats (latissimus dorsi) are all used for swimming and for throwing in water polo. However, water polo is a total-body sport, so you need to work all the major muscles groups to achieve the best performance results. Good exercise choices for the core include cable rotations and back extensions. To perform cable rotations, set a cable column to chest height and grab the handle with both hands. Engage the core by drawing-in the stomach to spine. Pull the handle across the body with the arms extended and pivot the foot that is opposite of the side you are turning toward. Make sure your head, shoulders, and hips all turn during the movement. Slowly return to the starting position and repeat movement. For the legs, perform exercises like lunges and leg curls. To work the lats, seated cable rows and pull-ups are good choices.

Continue Learning about Watersports

What are the disadvantages of cross-country skiing and rowing?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
An obvious problem with skiing, of course, is that you need snow as well as a certain amount of tech...
How do I improve my flexibility for kayaking?
To improve flexibility for kayaking, begin your flexibility routine by foam rolling for 30 secon...
How do I improve my flexibility for canoeing?
To improve flexibility for canoeing, begin your flexibility routine by foam rolling for 30 secon...
What are the benefits of cross-country skiing and rowing?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
Cross-country skiing is a great form of exercise. The impact is light on your body, plenty of upper ...