How can I increase my stroke power for rowing?

Power training that uses a combination of strength exercises supersetted with power exercises for the back and legs is a great way to build your stroke power for rowing. To perform this type of training you should perform 1-5 repetitions of a strength exercise followed immediately by 8-10 repetitions of a power exercise using an explosive tempo and up to 10% of bodyweight or 30%-45% of your one repetition maximum; this makes up one set. Perform 3-5 sets of this combination with 3-5 minutes of rest in between sets. Peform the strength exercise in a stable position (using two legs, leg press machine, etc.) as this allows more weight to be used. Some example supersets include low cable rows (4 sets of 5 repetitions) supersetted with 10 medicine ball slams and bar squats (4 sets of 5 repetitions) supersetted with 10 repetitions of squat jumps. To do medicine ball slams, use a ball that is up to 10% of your weight and start with the ball overhead. Explosively throw the ball down using the arms, lats, and abs. Ensure that the arms follow through the throw and bend the knees at the end of the movement. Catch the ball when it bounces up and repeat the movement. To perform squat jumps, begin in a squat position and the explosively jump into the air. Land softly and repeat the movement.

Continue Learning about Watersports

How do I improve my flexibility for canoeing?
To improve flexibility for canoeing, begin your flexibility routine by foam rolling for 30 secon...
What are the disadvantages of cross-country skiing and rowing?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
An obvious problem with skiing, of course, is that you need snow as well as a certain amount of tech...
What are the benefits of cross-country skiing and rowing?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
Cross-country skiing is a great form of exercise. The impact is light on your body, plenty of upper ...
How do I improve my flexibility for kayaking?
To improve flexibility for kayaking, begin your flexibility routine by foam rolling for 30 secon...