How much water should I drink while walking?

Staying hydrated is important to maintain health and performance while walking. It’s important to be adequately hydrated before you start your walk, if you are thirsty before or during the walk you’re already dehydrated. Depending on your weight and the temperature you should consume 1.5 cups of water every 20 minutes you’re walking. If the temperature or the humidity is very high you may need to consume more water up to 2 cups every 20 minutes.
Dr. Anita Gupta
Anesthesiology
Staying hydrated is essential in regulating body temperature and balancing electrolyte levels. Dehydration causes fatigue, headaches, nausea, dizziness, heat illness, and heat stroke. One should drink about 8 oz. every 15 minutes while exercising to keep hydrated. Depending on the temperature or intensity, more water may be needed in order to endure the exercise.

Continue Learning about Walking Safety

Dangers of Distracted Walking
Dangers of Distracted Walking
It's Not Me…It's You. That’s the title of a George Lopez comedy special on HBO and what lots of folks told researchers who conducted a survey on distr...
What are safety issues for seniors to consider when walking?
Jill Goldstein Jill Goldstein
Balance is an obvious concern for seniors walking.  If a senior wants to start walking on trails or ...
Should I worry about pollution when I am walking outdoors?
Jill Goldstein Jill Goldstein
If you have respiratory problems, then pollution is a concern.  Most locations local news have alert...
How can I stay hydrated when walking?
Cecilia Alston , NASM Elite TrainerCecilia Alston , NASM Elite Trainer
Ensure that you are properly hydrated before you start walking.  At the same time you want tomake su...