Should I worry if my son was accidentally given several vaccines twice?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
I would not be concerned. There are times when a child may get an extra vaccine dose. For example, sometimes it is not clear what vaccines a child may have gotten in the past. In that case, vaccinating the child to make sure he or she is fully protected far outweighs any risk of side effects.

Your son may have experienced redness, swelling, or soreness after these extra shots. But, children who get extra doses of any vaccine are, for the most part, at no extra risk than children who follow the regular schedule. All in all, the end result should only be more of a boost to his immune system.

Extra doses really are "extra" doses. They do not count as part of the regular schedule. Your son is likely to still need the next doses of these same vaccines given at their usual times.
Harvard Medical School The Truth About Your Immune System

Can you boost immunity? Will vitamins, herbs, or probiotics help your immune system fight off disease? What about diet and exercise? Your immune system is your most powerful protector but don't fall...

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
What should I expect after a vaccine shot?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
You or your child's arm may feel a little stiff and sore for a few days after a vaccine shot. Th...
Should I get a flu shot while I'm pregnant?
If you're pregnant, you should consider getting a flu vaccine. Pregnancy causes changes in the heart...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?