Can fibroids develop in places other than the uterus?

Fibroids most commonly develop in the uterus, but in rare cases they may affect other organs. Fibroids begin in smooth muscle cells, usually in the uterus. However, they may develop in other areas where smooth muscle cells are found. Rarely, a fibroid may invade other nearby organs. These types of fibroids, called parasitic fibroids, develop on a "stalk" coming from the uterus and eventually travel and attach themselves to the other organs, where they can cause serious complications.

While fibroids mostly grow in the uterus, they can also grow in the ovaries. Uterine fibroids can affect the Fallopian tubes.

Continue Learning about Uterine Fibroids

Should I be concerned about fibroids if I’m entering menopause?
Dr. John C. Lipman, MDDr. John C. Lipman, MD
No. Fibroids are benign (non-cancerous tumors). They are usually are not an issue for women in menop...
Are heavy menstrual periods a symptom of fibroids?
Women with submucosal fibroids located partly in the cavity and partly in the wall of the uterus are...
What Are Treatments for Fibroids Beyond Medication?
What Every Woman Needs to Know About Fibroids