What are the symptoms of upper GI bleeding?

Sometimes gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding does not present very obvious symptoms, but is serious all the same. When symptoms are present, they vary depending on whether the bleeding is coming from the lower or upper GI tract. If the bleeding is coming from the upper GI tract, symptoms include vomiting bright red blood, clots, or matter that looks like dark coffee grounds, and having ebony, tar like stool. Lower GI bleeding presents different symptoms like passing blood instead of a stool, or a mixture of the two, making a red or maroon colored stool.

Continue Learning about Upper GI Bleeding

Should I talk to my doctor about my upper GI bleeding symptoms?
You need to see your doctor to discuss your symptoms if you are showing signs of upper gastrointesti...
How is upper GI bleeding diagnosed?
Upper gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding is caused by another problem in the body, so the first step is ...
What increases my risk for upper GI bleeding?
There are many different risk factors for GI bleeding. Most times, GI bleeding is found in those...
How do I manage my upper GI bleeding on a daily basis?
Upper gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding really can't be managed on a daily basis. Sometimes you might n...