What exercises can I do for my buttocks?

Squats are the ultimate butt-building exercise - and you don’t have to go to the gym to do them. You can easily work squats into your daily routine; do them while watching TV, folding the laundry, or blow-drying your hair. For the plie squat, think of a ballerina. You’ll want to stand with your feet wider than your shoulders. Extend your arms, contract the butt muscles and lower into a squat, then rise to stand. Repeat. To make this exercise more effective, add protein to your diet. 

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

One of the functions of your buttock muscles (gluteus maximus) is to perform hip extension (bringing your leg back behind you). So exercises that emphasize this motion will effectively target your gluteus maximus. Example exercises can include bridges (on the floor or on a stability ball), resisted hip extension, and step ups. Squats and lunges can also be good gluteal exercises, however one must first learn proper movement mechanics of these exercises before introducing load to them.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs