Do I need to do cardio if I’m trying to gain weight?

Yes, it is recommended. Cardio is not only for people needing to lose weight; it conditions the heart and lungs and increases efficiency of the entire cardiovascular system. If your goal is weight gain, you can reduce the time and possibly the intensity of cardiorespiratory training, but maintaining the recommended two and a half hours per week of cardio set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is a good idea. Cardio helps to increase the stroke volume, which means there will be more oxygen and nutrients delivered throughout the body to the cells. In many cases, this can work to decrease recovery time. It is also important to know that weight gain will be dependent on the amount of calories you take in compared to the amount of calories you burn. In order for the body to grow tissues, you need to consume more calories than you are burning. It is recommended that 1.6-2.0 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day be consumed to help meet the nutrient needs of the muscles.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

The 5-Part Workout You Can Do Anytime, Anywhere
For the ultimate excuse-busting exercise routine, try this easy, no-shower-no-change-of-clothes workout, courtesy of Good Housekeeping's Drop 5 Pounds...
What exercise will help me tone my outer thighs?
Focusing on proper nutrition and participating in a structured exercise program consisting of re...
7 Office Exercises That Won't Make You Look Like a Weirdo
7 Office Exercises That Won't Make You Look Like a Weirdo7 Office Exercises That Won't Make You Look Like a Weirdo7 Office Exercises That Won't Make You Look Like a Weirdo7 Office Exercises That Won't Make You Look Like a Weirdo
Try these quick and simple exercises to help you stay in shape while sitting in the office. The office life leaves many sitting at their desk all day...
Lunchtime Workouts Boost Workplace Productivity