How long should I rest after a set to increase my muscle strength?

In order to maximize muscular strength gains, a rest interval of 45 seconds to five minutes should be incorporated. A rest interval is defined as the time taken to recuperate between sets and has a dramatic effect on the outcome of a training program. Strength adaptations can be accomplished through the use of internal energy sources in your muscles which help with quick, strength and power energy needs, called Adenosine Tri-Phosphate-Creatine Phosphate (ATP-CP). ATP-CP rapidly depletes in the body and is 75% restored after 40 seconds of recovery. After three minutes of recovery, ATP-CP will be completely restored. Incorporating the appropriate amount of rest intervals, in this case 45 seconds to three minutes, will help develop muscular strength.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs