How do I increase my total body strength?

There is a principle titled the SAID principle, which stands for “specific adaptation to imposed demands.” This states that we will only see gains where work has been performed; meaning if you want bigger biceps, you have to train your biceps! If your goal is overall strength, create a resistance training program with 8-10 exercises that target all of the major muscle groups (chest, back, shoulders, biceps, triceps, abs, lower back, quads, hamstrings, inner/outer thighs, and calves).

Start with two sets of each exercise, at a weight that you can perform 10-12 repetitions (no more, no less). Over the next few months, first progress to a slightly heavier weight that you can only lift 8-10 times, and finally to a weight that you can only perform 5-8 consecutive repetitions. Make sure that you utilize a spotter on any exercise that may be challenging!

The body's adaptation to a stimulus is directly linked to the variables and parameters of the stimulus. This means that if you want to increase total body strength you should focus on complex, multi-joint exercises. You could opt for a traditional 'bodybuilding' type workout wherein you break up the training for each major muscle group, but I don't think this would be the most efficient and effective way to increase total body strength.

I would recommend performing dynamic, multi-joint exercises using kettlebells, TRX, dumbbells and cable machines depending on what you have available. Examples of multi-joint exercises include variations of the squat and deadlift, KB swings, cleans and presses, pull-ups, renegade rows, etc.

The more planes of motion you are working the better. Don't restrict yourself to moving only forward and backward. Perform exercises laterally and transversely (twisting) as well. Utilize the core muscles for stabilization as much as possible. Depending on your current fitness level, the difficulty and number of exercises you are performing, I would focus on 2-3 sets of 8-12 repetitions for each exercise. Be sure to practice proper form and technique. You should never sacrifice them for the sake of using heavier weight. As your strength increases be sure to vary your workouts to avoid hitting a plateau.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

60-Second Workouts
60-Second Workouts
You can do a lot in 60 seconds, like whip up a smoothie, update your Facebook status or find out if that plastic stick you just peed on is going to tu...
What exercises can I do in my pool?
You've heard it time and again: water exercise is a great way to build fitness, flexibility and stre...
Why You Should Exercise Outside and 5 Outdoor Workouts to Try Today in Hawaii
Why You Should Exercise Outside and 5 Outdoor Workouts to Try Today in HawaiiWhy You Should Exercise Outside and 5 Outdoor Workouts to Try Today in HawaiiWhy You Should Exercise Outside and 5 Outdoor Workouts to Try Today in HawaiiWhy You Should Exercise Outside and 5 Outdoor Workouts to Try Today in Hawaii
Hawaii’s year-round sunshine makes it the perfect climate to play in the sun while burning calories. One of the benefits to living in the tropics is c...
How to Get a Good Workout Using a Kitchen Chair