How often should I train my core muscles?

Sadie Lincoln
Sadie Lincoln on behalf of barre3
Fitness
The muscles of your core can and should be worked daily! They atrophy quickly and, for most people, recover quickly as well. I like to remind my clients that your core muscles carry you throughout your day, through everything you do with your body. If you can learn to feel them and activate them properly in daily tasks (like lifting, twisting, walking, running), you will be working your core outside the studio as well.
Core exercises should be performed three days per week. Remember that you are constantly relying on your core during static posture and dynamic movement throughout the entire body, as well as assisting during breathing. Using slow tempos during exercises such as planks, back extensions, supermans, cobras and crunches will ensure that you maintain optimum control over the trunk and hips.

Training your core muscles is an essential part of your overall fitness, but like other muscles in your body, they need an opportunity to repair and rebuild after a workout.  Therefore, give your core at least a day of rest before your next session. 

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

Reduce Inflammation and Obesity with Endurance Training
Ultra-marathoner Dean Karnazes holds several records for the longest endurance runs. In 2005 he ran 350 miles in 80 hours and 44 minutes without sleep...
What breakdancing moves can I use for exercise?
Breakdancing can be fun and a great workout. Watch as Crunch fitness trainer Mario Green and Dr. ...
Do-Anywhere Workout Plan
Do-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout Plan
This 14-move, excuse-proof workout is perfect for you. The best gym in the world? You're living in it. By using your own body weight to complete a str...
Dr. Oz: Morning Workout
Dr. Oz: Morning Workout