How often should I train my core muscles?

Sadie Lincoln
Sadie Lincoln on behalf of barre3
Fitness
The muscles of your core can and should be worked daily! They atrophy quickly and, for most people, recover quickly as well. I like to remind my clients that your core muscles carry you throughout your day, through everything you do with your body. If you can learn to feel them and activate them properly in daily tasks (like lifting, twisting, walking, running), you will be working your core outside the studio as well.

Training your core muscles is an essential part of your overall fitness, but like other muscles in your body, they need an opportunity to repair and rebuild after a workout.  Therefore, give your core at least a day of rest before your next session. 

Core exercises should be performed three days per week. Remember that you are constantly relying on your core during static posture and dynamic movement throughout the entire body, as well as assisting during breathing. Using slow tempos during exercises such as planks, back extensions, supermans, cobras and crunches will ensure that you maintain optimum control over the trunk and hips.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

Types Of Exercise Programs

Types Of Exercise Programs

From walking to engaging in team sports, exercise comes in many forms. Aerobics, stretching, weightlifting and endurance training are some of the types of exercise that produce health benefits and enjoyment. With each type of exer...

cise, proper technique and posture is critical in preventing injuries while achieving maximum health results.