Advertisement

Is exercise only one part of a weight loss program?

Yes exercise is an important part but only part of a weight loss program. A comprehensive weight loss program includes, diet, exercise, behavioral change, and social support from friends and family. Studies show that the most successful weight loss programs combine all of these pieces together to help a person change their lifestyle in a way that makes weight loss and healthy weight management more successful. If you’re looking to lose weight combining exercise with diet, support, and behavior change will give you much better results than exercise alone. 
Jim White
Nutrition & Dietetics

Exercise is just one part of a weight loss program. If you are just working out and not changing your diet and overall lifestyle, you will not see a big change in your weight. When trying to lose weight your nutrition is actually about 80% of the equation while, exercise is the other 20%. Both exercise and nutrition are extremely important though. The exercise will allow your body to burn calories and gain lean body mass, which will allow you to burn more calories and make you a healthier individual.

Exercise is one component of an exercise plan with many benefits including increasing your metabolism, strength, endurance and organ function. But the most successful people who lose weight and keep it off adopt a comprehensive healthy lifestyle. A healthy lifestyle is multifaceted and consists of eating a healthy diet, increasing daily physical activity (including exercise), reducing stress, and sleeping a minimum of 7 hours per day. Combining all of these things will greatly increase your chances of reaching your weight loss goal, in addition to improving your overall health and wellness. Conversely, failure to adopt a healthy lifestyle can sabotage your efforts to lose weight and keep it off long-term; resulting in yo-yo weight fluctuations and frustration.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

What Is a Good Exercise to Flatten My Belly?
What Is a Good Exercise to Flatten My Belly?
How to Dress for Winter Workouts
How to Dress for Winter Workouts
Tips for Cold-Weather Workouts
Tips for Cold-Weather Workouts
Can I Get a Good Workout By Just Dancing?
Can I Get a Good Workout By Just Dancing?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.