Why is ballet a great workout?

Ballet can help you burn a tremendous amount of calories and subsequently lose weight. Ballet involves total-body rhythmic movements that elevate your heart rate, breathing rate, circulation, and muscular activity. In fact, ballet elevates your metabolism 3-6 times above your resting metabolism. In other words, you’ll burn 3-6 times more calories when you’re dancing versus resting (known as 3.0 - 6.0 METS). For the average adult, this equates to burning approximately 3.5 to 7 calories per minute. If you’re aspiring to lose weight, ballet can be a fun and invigorating activity to help you reach your goals. However, when engaging in ballet, it is important to listen to your body. Do not try postures or techniques that are too advanced or cause pain.

My daughter is a dancer so I have been around ballet for quite a while.  She is currently a dance major at a division 1 school.  I can say that ballet is an incredible workout with a tremendous price tag.  Ballet develops balance strength, reactive strength, core strength, and develops overall muscular strength, endurance, and flexibility.  Ballet also places the body under enormous stress, if it is something that you take seriously.  Injuries are common in ballet and if you happen to go on point the foot stress is literally off the charts.  I highly recommend ballet for general fitness but with the caveat that if taken seriously and highly committed too the bone and joint stress can be high.
Ballet provides a workout that is great for toning and flexibility.  It develops long lean muscles and trains you to have great posture in daily life.  The slow and controlled movements develop muscular strength while the stretching promotes flexibility.  It is also great for core stability and balance training. 

Having good posture from ballet can make you look taller!

Watch as ballet expert Tanya Becker and Dr. Oz demonstrate why ballet is a great workout, in this video.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

Types Of Exercise Programs

Types Of Exercise Programs

From walking to engaging in team sports, exercise comes in many forms. Aerobics, stretching, weightlifting and endurance training are some of the types of exercise that produce health benefits and enjoyment. With each type of exer...

cise, proper technique and posture is critical in preventing injuries while achieving maximum health results.