Why is it important to use a full range of motion when exercising?

Using a full range of motion when exercising is very important for developing and maintaining good flexibility. In addition, a full range of motion activates more muscle groups and enhances the overall effectiveness of certain exercises. For example, some studies show that going deeper in a squat and/or lunge activates more gluteal muscles and hamstrings in comparison to stopping the motion when the knee joint is at 90 degrees.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

how do i perform marching lying on my back ?
Kristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness ExpertKristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness Expert
Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Toes are pointing straight ahead a...
what are passive range of motion ( rom ) exercises for the ankles and feet ?
Perform a heel-cord stretching exercise by cupping or cradling the heel of the person you are stretc...
what is adducting ?
Adducting is a term used to describe the movement of an extremity toward the midline of the body or ...
what can i do at home to improve my balance ?