Why is it important to use a full range of motion when exercising?

Using a full range of motion when exercising is very important for developing and maintaining good flexibility. In addition, a full range of motion activates more muscle groups and enhances the overall effectiveness of certain exercises. For example, some studies show that going deeper in a squat and/or lunge activates more gluteal muscles and hamstrings in comparison to stopping the motion when the knee joint is at 90 degrees.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans need to move more and sit less. That’s been the clear-cut message from government health officials since they issued physical activity guide...
How do I perform a seated cable row single arm?
Wendy Batts Wendy Batts
When performing a seated, single-arm row exercise, you want to first select the amount of weight on ...
What is a good exercise to help me get out of a chair?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
Here's how to do bridges with alternating single leg lifts to strengthen hips: Reps: 5 per leg Se...
What Balancing Exercises Can I Do While Seated?