Why do I get headaches after exercising?

If you are frequently getting headaches after your workouts it is probably the result of dehydration and/or because you are holding your breath while working out. As you workout your body sweats and uses water that needs to replenished at the same rate. If you are not rehydrating properly, this can result in a headache. Holding your breath during sets (called the valsalva maneuver) will raise your blood pressure and heart rate. It is very common to perform this maneuver unconsciously. Make sure to inhale and exhale properly while performing your repetitions.

Headaches after exercise can be caused by a variety of things, including over exertion, low blood sugar, dehydration, tension in the cervical spine. If you are frequently experiencing headaches after exercise you should consult your primary medical provider to make sure there isn’t any underlying condition that may be causing your headaches. If there is no cause, make sure you’re adequately hydrated, and your blood sugar levels are stable prior to exercise, this may prevent post exercise headaches.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans need to move more and sit less. That’s been the clear-cut message from government health officials since they issued physical activity guide...
How do I do a Front Step-up, Balance to Overhead Press with 2-Arms?
Stand in front of a box with your feet pointed straight ahead and placed shoulder-width apart. Hold ...
What are the advantages of exercising outdoors?
Outdoor, or "green," exercise has appealing advantages: It's often cheaper and easier than a gym or ...
When During My Workout Would I Use a Foam Roller?