What are the advantages of exercising outdoors?

Outdoor, or "green," exercise has appealing advantages: It's often cheaper and easier than a gym or fitness club, usually provides a better visual and sensory experience than being inside and may be more easily adapted to your changing interests and needs. What's more, exercising in a natural environment—rather than indoors on a treadmill—produces higher levels of positive emotions, with less tension and stress, and encourages you to exercise longer.

Outdoor classes have sprung up around the United States, bridging the gap between gyms and green exercise. Fresh-air exercise sessions use body weight, resistance tubes and exercise balls to work out in public places such as parks, playgrounds and trails.

A daily dose of nature, gained in as little as a 10-minute walk, is important for the health of adults and children alike. 

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans need to move more and sit less. That’s been the clear-cut message from government health officials since they issued physical activity guide...
How do I perform a turning lunge to OH press?
Stand with your feet pointed straight ahead and placed shoulder-width apart. Hold a pair of dumb...
How do I perform a ball push-up with 2 feet on a ball?
Begin in a push-up position with feet together on top of a ball and your hands on the floor, placed ...
How Can I Prevent Spraining My Ankles?
How Can I Prevent Spraining My Ankles?