How can I get in more exercise since I have little time to spare?

One of the best ways to get your exercise in when you have a very busy schedule is to break it up into 10 minute increments 2 to 3 times per day. Another way is to do things like park at the distant end of the parking lot when shopping or at work. Use the stairs instead of an elevator or escalator. Walk or ride a bike to work if you have time and are close enough. If you have a desk job, stand up in your office/cubicle whenever possible. If you are talking on the phone, stand up instead of sitting at your desk. If you watch TV when you get home at night, sit on the floor and do some stretches during the commercials. These are just a few examples of how you can get in some incidental exercise without even realizing it.

When you have little time to spare, remember that the guidelines are for 150 minutes of physical activity per week. This exercise can come in 10 minute increments for a total of 30 minutes per day. Here are some tips to add exercise in to your daily routine that can be done in conjunction with other activities:

• Climbing stair in stad of take the elevator
  • Walking to the mailbox
  • Park further away from the store
  • Yard work and/or gardening
  • House cleaning
  • Playing catch or outdoor games with the kids
  • Take a walking lunch or walking meetings at work

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans need to move more and sit less. That’s been the clear-cut message from government health officials since they issued physical activity guide...
What are some examples of light, moderate, and heavy exercise?
Joshua C. Klapow, PhDJoshua C. Klapow, PhD
Here are some examples of light, moderate, and heavy physical activity: LightSlow walkingCooking ...
How often should I drink during exercise?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
During exercise, sweat should be replaced by fluid intake of 6 -- 12 ounces every 20 minutes. Begin ...
How Do I Perform a 1-Hand Medicine Ball Push-Up?