What is the ideal exercise plan for peak physical and mental performance?

Eric Olsen
Fitness
The ideal exercise plan for peak physical and mental performance would be a total-body routine that includes aerobic training such as brisk walking, weight training for strength, and some complex activity that requires continual learning or refinement of skills. Even better, do at least some of this in a social context for the benefits of staying connected with others. Add continuing education, community involvement, and the like for additional benefits. Learn a new language, take up an instrument, join a book discussion group, or enroll in extension classes at the local college.
Lifefit: An Effective Exercise Program for Optimal Health and a Longer Life

An easy-to-follow programme for lengthening and improving lives. More than an exercise guide, this text is an effective tool for making meaningful lifestyle decisions to benefit long-term fitness. In...

NASM recommends undulating periodization. With this type of training you mix high-intensity workouts with low intensity longer duration workouts. For example, you can do 20 second repeated sprints on a bicycle for 10 minutes then follow that with a 10 minute jog. Furthermore, you can do high intensity short-duration exercise on Monday then Slow, aerobic exercise on Wednesday. The more you alternate the workouts the more confused the body gets. This type of training prevents boredom and continually challenges the neuromuscular system creating optimal adaptations both physically and mentally.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans need to move more and sit less. That’s been the clear-cut message from government health officials since they issued physical activity guide...
How do I perform a standing cable chest press with alternate-arms?
Stand with your back to a weight stack, keeping your feet straight and placed shoulder-width apa...
What is an exercise to strengthen my wrists so that I can turn a door knob?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
Here's how to do the palm up, palm down exercise to strengthen wrists: Reps: 10 Sets: 1-3 Intensi...
What Is the Integrative Side of Treating Parkinson's Disease?