What are some technical tips on how to throw the javelin?

The key to throwing the javelin is to keep your body as relaxed and loose as possible during the approach, cross-overs, jump, and drive phase to create as much range of motion possible in the hips, back, and arm. Throwing the javelin is an elastic event (stretch-reflex). The approach should not be too long as to prevent the thrower from achieving an active block at release. The most common error in javelin throwing is having more speed than the athlete can handle at jump and drive phases, which causes a break down at delivery. The throwing arm should have a slight bend in it during the cross-overs and the throwing wrist should always be flexed. The head should not be tilting to the left or right and should always be looking up to where you want the javelin to fly. The toes are always dorsiflexed during the approach, cross-overs, jump, drive phases, and throw. The key to throwing far is to create the longest possible pull on the javelin while having your hand follow the javelin into the air as long as possible.

Continue Learning about Track & Field

Why are hurdle drills great flexibility for every event in track and field?
Hurdle drills reinforce balance, stability, correct posture, body awareness, range of motion, an...
What are some tips to get back to race weight after the off season?
Follow these few suggestions and make the most of your workouts while working off those few extr...
What can I do to improve my fitness and conditioning for track?
Most track and field athletes get enough cardio conditioning during practice and require differe...
Should I be running while training intensely for a meet?
Running or cardio should be kept very light or performed not at all. Weightlifting is very inten...