Is periodontitis a dental emergency?

Treatment methods for periodontitis depend upon how far along the disease has progressed. This could be a dental emergency, and you definitely shouldn't wait to see your dentist.

Chronic periodontitis can lead to the loss of tissue and bone that support the teeth and it may become more severe over time. If it does, your teeth will feel loose and start moving around in your mouth. This is the most common form of periodontitis in adults but can occur at any age. It usually gets worse slowly, but there can be periods of rapid progression.

Aggressive periodontitis is a highly destructive form of periodontal disease that occurs in patients who are otherwise healthy. Common features include rapid loss of tissue and bone and may occur in some areas of the mouth, or in the entire mouth.

Also, while a link is not conclusive, some studies indicate that severe gum disease may be associated with several other health conditions such as diabetes or stroke.

Don't wait until you are in pain to see a dentist. Through regular visits to your dentist, this problem can be caught early, before it becomes a dental emergency.
Periodontitis is inflammation that involves irreversible loss of the tissues that support the teeth in the jaw bones. Bleeding gums are a sign of an underlying periodontal disease that could lead to infections, abscesses, or another dental emergency. Seeing a dentist to treat your periodontitis along with good oral hygiene is the best way to prevent complications and progression of periodontitis. Not taking care of it promptly could lead to tooth loss.

Continue Learning about Tooth & Mouth Disorders

What is smooth tongue?
Smooth tongue occurs when the normal bumps on the tongue (papillae) are no longer visible. This is o...
How do I manage my chronic periodontitis on a daily basis?
If you are diagnosed with chronic periodontitis, it is important to follow your doctor's recommendat...
How common is temporomandibular disorder (TMD)?
Temporomandibular disorders are quite common. It is estimated that more than 10 million people suffe...
Can burning mouth syndrome change how my mouth looks?
Burning mouth syndrome will not change the appearance of your mouth. Burning mouth syndrome can ...