What can I do for an itchy throat with a cough?

An itchy throat with a cough can be due to several causes, but usually making it feel better is relatively easy. If cough medicines are not helping, some studies suggest that using buckwheat honey may be more likely to soothe your throat. Other simple things to try include cough suppressants, staying well hydrated, using humidifiers at home, or using nasal saline spray to help clear out any nasal congestion. Adding honey and squeezed lemon to hot water can also help soothe your throat. You should see your doctor if the cough persists beyond 4 to 6 weeks. She or he may be able to help determine an underlying cause of the cough and throat irritation, and give you medicine to help treat it.

Continue Learning about Throat Disorders

How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
Thyroid Eye Disease (TED) is a condition that usually develops in people with an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) caused by an autoimmune disorder...
What throat disorders occur most commonly in children?
Children are at higher risk than adults for throat infections. Strep throat is particularly common. ...
What are throat disorders?
There is a wide range of different conditions that can affect your throat, or pharynx, and these are...
When Should I Have My Tonsils Looked at?