How should I select a tennis racket?

Here are some tips for selecting a tennis racket:
  • Size: Beginners should choose a larger frame with a greater strung surface. With a greater area, you can hit the ball further from the center and still be a great shot. Intermediate and expert players may want to choose smaller frames, which allow for a medium strung area that generates good racquet speed.
  • Beam: Try a medium-width beam first, then work your way toward the beam width you enjoy the best. Wide beams can add power, but may recoil, decreasing your control.
  • Grip: Choose the grip that is most comfortable for your size and skill level.
  • Length: As ability increases, an athlete can add more length to their racquet. Keep in mind that added length may cause instability.
  • Weight: Choose the weight of a racket that feels the most comfortable and allows you to swing with ease.
(This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Tennis

How often should I stretch while training for tennis?
If general health is the main goal, engage in stretching three to five times a week. Athletes re...
How do I release the tension in my lower back from tennis?
Tension in the low back is the result of imbalances between groups of muscles around that partic...
How can I keep playing tennis and stay safe and healthy?
Tennis is a fun and challenging workout that will work many different parts of your body. Tennis wil...
Is tennis an aerobic or anaerobic sport?
Tennis is mainly an aerobic sport because of the length of the rest between games and sets. Howe...