How can I decrease the risk of lower-back injury from tennis?

The main causes of back injuries when playing tennis are overuse of your lower-back muscles, an improper warm-up, and poor flexibility of your hips, latissimus dorsi, and back muscles that run up and down the spine. Complete a proper warm-up before each game. This ensures that muscles are flexible and warmed before you use them in a match. Begin with a general warm-up like a light jog for about five minutes. Follow this general warm-up with specific static stretches in areas where you feel tight. Often in tennis players, the hips, latissimus dorsi, adductors, and calves are chronically tight due to the demands of the game. Incorporate static stretching of these areas, holding each stretch for thirty seconds. Follow static stretching with dynamic stretching, moving through full ranges of motion for the upper and lower body, helping to excite the muscles and prepare you for the demand and speed of the game. Some dynamic exercises you can incorporate are walking lunges with a twist, push-ups with rotation, squats and side-to-side tube walking. In addition, make sure you have the proper tennis racket size and weight and supportive shoes to wear during your season.

Continue Learning about Tennis

What are some heart-health precautions to take before starting tennis?
If you are concerned about your heart or your health impacting your ability to play tennis consult y...
Is tennis an aerobic or anaerobic sport?
Tennis is mainly an aerobic sport because of the length of the rest between games and sets. Howe...
How do I increase my tennis stroke velocity?
The key to increasing your tennis stroke velocity comes from the tennis racket. First, a firm an...
How often should I stretch while training for tennis?
If general health is the main goal, engage in stretching three to five times a week. Athletes re...