How can cervical cryosurgery affect fertility?

Having cryosurgery, or freezing, of your cervix rarely causes a complication with getting pregnant. The cervix functions by making watery mucus around the time of ovulation that makes it easy for the sperm to swim to the egg. After surgery on their cervix, some women have a decrease in mucus production. When there is a decrease in mucus, sperm may have trouble getting to the egg for fertilization. This can easily be treated with intrauterine inseminations (IUI).

Women with a history of cryosurgery of the cervix are at a slightly increased risk of having tubal damage for a number of reasons. If pregnancy does not occur soon, even with intrauterine inseminations (IUI), a test of the fallopian tubes would also be helpful.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

What tests are done before colon and rectal surgery?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Before colon and rectal surgery, a variety of laboratory examinations, including chest X-ray, electr...
How is hand transplantation different from other transplant procedures?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Hand transplantation differs significantly from other transplant procedures because, unlike a he...
Is robotic surgery safer than traditional surgery?
Spotsylvania Regional Medical CenterSpotsylvania Regional Medical Center
Robotic surgery is much safer for the patient than traditional surgery.
When should I call my doctor after thoracic surgery?
Presbyterian/St. Luke's Medical CenterPresbyterian/St. Luke's Medical Center
I will see all my patients one to two weeks after surgery. They should call for any signs of infecti...