Why are some people better able to cope with stress than others?

Increasingly, researchers are attempting to zero in on factors that make some people "stress-hardy" while others seem "stress-intolerant" and more readily succumb to anxiety disorders.

Some scientists compare stress resilience to a green twig that bends but doesn't break when you twist it. This trait seems to be the product of biological, environmental, and emotional factors. Some of the factors that are at play include genetic makeup, having an adaptive coping style, and having or developing a "realistically optimistic" outlook in which you acknowledge life's negatives but don't dwell on them. Having had a nurturing, supportive adult involved in your life during childhood seems to be protective. Bonds forged with others continue to play a key role. Research reveals that a high level of social support even in adulthood cushions you from the effects of stress.

Continue Learning about Stress

Why Should I Add a Stress-Management Practice?
Photo Credit: Menhak via Flickr Creative Commons Although eating healthy and exercising regularly are important to your health and well-being, stress...
What causes stress during bereavement?
Michael E. Hirsch, MDMichael E. Hirsch, MD
Stress can skyrocket during bereavement. The massive adjustments to change demanded of you can repea...
I Deleted My Instagram—Plus 7 Other Things That Calmed Me Down
I Deleted My Instagram—Plus 7 Other Things That Calmed Me DownI Deleted My Instagram—Plus 7 Other Things That Calmed Me DownI Deleted My Instagram—Plus 7 Other Things That Calmed Me DownI Deleted My Instagram—Plus 7 Other Things That Calmed Me Down
I never realized how anxious I was until my phone analyzed the stress in my voice.
Telling the Truth Is Good for Your Health