Why should I rest when I am stressed out?

Brooke Randolph
Marriage & Family Therapy
If we push too hard in any area (physically or mentally for example), we will burn out and cease to be able to function; however, if we allow ourselves time to recover we can continue to function at a normal level. Furthermore, if we push ourselves beyond what we are used to and allow ourselves to recover, we build our capacity in that area (physical, mental, etc).

Have you ever noticed that your best ideas come when you are at rest or distracted, like when you are in bed, in the shower, or exercising. In addition, I find I have new ideas and come to new understandings while drying my hair. When you get stuck on a problem or find you're not being as productive as you would like, oscillate to a new activity and allow that part of your brain to rest. Engaging yourself physically will help you grow physically and mentally.

Continue Learning about Stress

The Power of a Pause to Improve Your Work and Life
We set up our itinerary so we could see and do as much as possible in eight days. I kept feeling like I was seeing everything, but nothing was being a...
What is the difference between chronic and acute stress?
It is important to distinguish between the acute stress response -- when your heart beats faster and...
5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health
5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health
Find out how working too much can make you sick – and what you can do.
Breathe Deeply to Ease Pain
Breathe Deeply to Ease Pain