What are some causes of stress for women?

While men can certainly fall into this same trap, I find that as women we are especially prone to the misgivings of overscheduled and overcommitted lives, particularly given the roles we accept in society (mom, wife, daughter, caretaker, homemaker, dog walker, bookkeeper, friend, mentor, employee or business owner, and so on.)

Not surprisingly, women report feeling the effects of stress on their physical health more than men. We rob from our precious sleep time to pay the bills, keep everyone else happy at home and work, and check off the to-do list. This also sets us up for falling into many unhealthy habits such as avoiding exercise, drinking too much alcohol, losing sight of what a healthy meal is, and resorting to lots of processed foods that will do exactly what you don’t want to happen: pack on weight and age you prematurely.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Stress

My Commute Made Me a Stress Monster—Here's How I Fixed It
I used to swear a lot. Specifically, I swore a lot last year, when my daily commute started chipping away at my sanity. Each morning, I would roll i...
Do women and men respond differently to stress?
As stressed as we are,women still have the advantage over men when it comes to coping. New evidence?...
Why are some people better able to cope with stress than others?
Michael J. Mufson, MDMichael J. Mufson, MD
Increasingly, researchers are attempting to zero in on factors that make some people "stress-hardy" ...
What are the stages of stress?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Stage 1: Alarm Reaction. Any physical, emotional, or mental upset will cause an instantaneous re...