Is stress the only cause of all health problems?

No, people sometimes assume that stress alone is responsible for a wide range of physical, psychological, and behavioral problems, which may, in fact, stem from other causes. Research does not always make clear the difference between correlation and cause and effect; many conditions correlated with stress are not necessarily caused by stress, although stress may be a factor. When we focus on stress alone as the cause of most or all health problems, we run the risk of ignoring multiple social, political, and genetic determinants of health.

For example, a research study concluding that stress puts women at a higher risk of experiencing intense hot flashes and insomnia may not examine the possibility that women who experience hot flashes and insomnia are more likely to feel distressed by the experience and therefore report higher stress levels.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH," A TRUSTWORTHY, UP-TO-DATE GUIDE TO HELP EVERY WOMAN NAVIGATE THE MENOPAUSE TRANSITION For decades, millions of women have relied on Our...

Continue Learning about Stress

3 Stress Management Practices That Increase Our Empathy
Divided, We Suffer Concentrating on what divides us may feed our anger and righteousness, but it doesn’t feed our hearts and our health. Of course it’...
How can I prevent my stress from harming my child?
Kynthia JamesKynthia James
Stress unfortunately is a normal part of living and it is important that we learn healthy ways of de...
7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body
7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body
Stress isn't just bad for your mental health—it can harm your physical health as well. Learn how, plus smart strategies to help you take control. Fee...
Can Stress Really Cause Cancer?
Can Stress Really Cause Cancer?