How does stress affect my quality of sleep?

Alan Christianson, ND
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Stress affects quality of sleep by causing the body to make more stress hormones (cortisol) than sleep hormones (melatonin). In this video, naturopathic doctor Alan Christianson, ND, explains this concept, and how light can impact your sleep quality.
Recently, the National Sleep Foundation asked people what kept them up at night, and it's no surprise that the most popular answers included financial worries, job stress, and relationship stress. At the most basic biological level, the brain perceives these problems as threats it needs to process, deal with, and solve; it can't turn off its alert system so that your sleep drive can take over. Eliminating the stress in your life might seem like an impossible task. And it is. Instead of eliminating stress, trying minimizing it by employing effective coping mechanisms.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
Stress can decrease your quality of sleep in a major way. There are two stages of sleep, categorized as rapid eye movement (REM) and non-rapid eye movement (NREM). NREM is divided into its own 4 stages, with stage 1 being the transition from wake to sleep. Stress can significantly interfere with the transition in this stage. Essentially, stress can make it much more difficult to fall asleep.
Dede Bonner
Health Education
Lost sleep robs us of the ability to restore ourselves physically, mentally, and emotionally. Previous studies have found links between poor sleep and significant metabolic and endocrine changes that mimic the aging process, high levels of cortisol (the body’s stress hormone), and weight gain.
The 10 Best Questions for Living with Fibromyalgia: The Script You Need to Take Control of Your Health

A good mind knows the right answers...but a great mind knows the right questions. And never are the Best Questions more important than after the life-altering diagnosis of fibromyalgia -- or when you...

Continue Learning about Stress

Become Immune to Stress with This Mantra
"I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and, gosh darn it, people like me." Turns out a positive mantra like this is no joke. It might even be key to stayi...
How can I deal with the stress in my life?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
Try as you might, it's not possible, or even desirable, to scrub all stress from your life. Some...
5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health
5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health
Find out how working too much can make you sick – and what you can do.
The Challenge to Turn Your Stressed Life Around