How does my body react to stress response?

If your stress response gets kicked up, a whole SWAT team of stress hormones kicks in to ready your body systems for action. Here’s the 1–2–3 of what happens when a crisis hits:

• The region of the brain called the hypothalamus releases a stress coordinator called corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH).
  • CRH rushes over to the pituitary, a pea-sized gland at the base of the brain, and tells it to release adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) into the bloodstream.
  • Fast-talking ACTH tells the adrenals (yep, they’re called into action again) to release a major stress hormone, cortisol.

This sequence of events is known in scientific circles as the hypothalamicpituitary- adrenal axis, or HPA axis. It is your body’s main stress-response system. Think of it as old-fashioned messengering in a kingdom in the midst of war – a way of getting the word out to the body that it’s time to mobilize the troops and prepare for battle.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Stress

Call on Your Smartphone to Reduce Stress
Next time somebody tells you, "My smartphone is stressing me out!" -- the e-mails, the 24/7 social networking, the constant beep of incoming text mess...
When does stress become distress?
Raychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPCRaychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPC
Clinically defined, stress is a physical, mental, or emotional factor that causes physical and psych...
How does stress affect the workplace?
Aila AccadAila Accad
The U.S. Bureau of Labor estimates stress costs U.S. businesses $300 billion annually in lost produc...
What Are the Health Benefits of Drinking Matcha Green Tea?