What is the difference between chronic and acute stress?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
Acute stress is an immediate problem.  An argument with a friend or not doing well on a test.  This is normal and short term stress.  Chronic stress is unabated stress that is long term.  A divorce, an illness or a difficult job can be chronic stressors.
One-time, short-lived anxieties - like a wolf nipping at your backside as it chases you over a hill - causes acute stress, which triggers our fight-or-fight reaction. Chronic stresses are more prolonged agitators, such as nagging bosses, a bad marriage, or constant worries about finances.

Our bodies have evolved ways of handling acute stress, but chronic stress is harder for our bodies to deal with - so we're more vulnerable to the negative consequences of the constant attack of chronic stress.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...
It is important to distinguish between the acute stress response -- when your heart beats faster and your breath comes faster as you get a rush of adrenalin -- and the chronic stress response, in which you are continually under stress.

The chronic stress response causes the most problems as it literally wears out your body functions, leading to disease. That's because our physical stress response was designed for emergency situations, such as fleeing an attacking animal, not for the everyday stressors we experience in modern society.

Continue Learning about Stress

Stressed? Take Those Old Records off the Shelf
When your body is in knots and your mind won't let your worries rest, you might think that a massage is the way to go. But here's a cheaper, quicker f...
What should I ask my doctor about stress?
Review the following questions about stress so you're prepared to discuss this important health issu...
5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health
5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health
Find out how working too much can make you sick – and what you can do.
5 Things Organized People Can’t Live Without