What is the difference between chronic and acute stress?

It is important to distinguish between the acute stress response -- when your heart beats faster and your breath comes faster as you get a rush of adrenalin -- and the chronic stress response, in which you are continually under stress.

The chronic stress response causes the most problems as it literally wears out your body functions, leading to disease. That's because our physical stress response was designed for emergency situations, such as fleeing an attacking animal, not for the everyday stressors we experience in modern society.

Continue Learning about Stress

Putting Out the Flames From Work Burnout
More than a decade ago, businesswoman Arianna Huffington collapsed at work. Huffington feared she had a brain tumor, but her doctor concluded the fain...
Telling the Truth Is Good for Your Health
As a Mom, How Can I Find Time to Exercise?
3 Steps to Boost Your Happiness Right Now