Can walking reduce stress?

Manuel Villacorta
One thing that works beautifully to reduce stress -- and cortisol -- is to take short walks during the day. Even a five- to ten-minute walk works wonders. The walk is not for exercise, it's to clear your head, change the scenery, and focus on breathing. It sounds silly, but that little break can help lower your cortisol, so your stress is lower and you'll have better success with your weight loss.
Eating Free: The Carb-Friendly Way to Lose Inches, Embrace Your Hunger, and Keep Weight Off for Good

Eating Free reveals why the prevailing wisdom on weight loss--low-calorie, no carbs, high-intensity exercise--sharply clashes with the facts of human biology and human nature, setting dieters up for...

If stress is a constant companion, add a 20- to 30-minute walk to your daily routine. Walking and other forms of exercise help reduce anxiety. Even better, take your stroll in a neighborhood park. A recent Japanese study revealed that walking outside, especially in a forest setting, is an effective way to combat chronic stress.

Continue Learning about Stress

Become Immune to Stress with This Mantra
"I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and, gosh darn it, people like me." Turns out a positive mantra like this is no joke. It might even be key to stayi...
What are the three categories of stress?
In general, life's stressors can be grouped into three categories, which all have different implicat...
How often do I need a day of rest?
Michael B. Finkelstein, MDMichael B. Finkelstein, MD
Be sure to take a full day of rest, once a week. In some cultures, the day of rest is called a "Sabb...
How does the Sharecare App’s voice analysis work?
Erik FeingoldErik Feingold
The technology looks for stress-patterns in your voice while you speak on the phone. These so-called...