Can stretching help reduce stress?

Aila Accad
Aila Accad on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Nursing
A good stretch decreases stress and increases energy. Energy can become stagnant from sitting too long at your desk or in front of the computer or TV. All of your muscles can use stretching from time to time. Take a break when possible. Studies prove that workers who take a break increase productivity. Take a moment to stand up and stretch. Stretch your fingers, arms, wrists, ankles, legs, toes, waist, neck and spine. The small investment in a moment or two of stretching will pay off in reduced stress, clearer thinking and increased productivity.

Stretching improves elasticity and mobility, which allows for relaxed movement and less tension. Resting the body and mind to a state of quiet opens the senses for more presence in the moment, creativity and peace. When you create some spaces in your day, you experience more of what is present and come up with creative solutions to stressful situations.

Continue Learning about Stress

Positive-Thinking Exercises to Undo Stressful Thoughts
Sometimes the noise from inside our own heads is the biggest stressor of all. But here's the phrase that can turn things around for you: "My mind is c...
5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health
5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health 5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health 5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health 5 Ways Your Job May Be Hurting Your Health
Find out how working too much can make you sick – and what you can do. According to a 2014 Gallup poll, Americans worked 47 hours per week on average...
What Is Stress and Why Should I Be Concerned About It?
How Can I Change My Response to Stress?
How Can I Change My Response to Stress?