How is strep throat treated?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Strep throat is treated with antibiotics. Typically, penicillin or amoxicillin is given in a 10 day course of treatment, but sometimes an injection of penicillin is administered. If you have an allergy to penicillin, though, you might be prescribed one of the following:

• azithromycin
  • clarithromycin
  • erythromycin
  • clindamycin

You should start to feel better within 48 hours of starting antibiotic treatment, but make sure to finish the whole prescription as directed. Your doctor may also suggest you take over-the-counter pain relievers to alleviate some of the discomfort and pain you feel. And you'll be encouraged to rest and keep hydrated until you recover from the infection.

Dr. Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrician

The gold standard for treatment of strep throat is a penicillin product. The most commonly prescribed type of penicillin prescribed is amoxicillin which is taken twice daily for ten days. A one-time shot of bicillin can also be given for strep throat which does not respond to the oral medication. For kids who are allergic to penicillin, another antibiotic will be prescribed. 

Continue Learning about Strep Throat

Can adults get strep throat?
Strep throat doesn't just affect children. Learn more from our experts about strep throat.
Is my son's enlarged lymph node normal after a diagnosis of strep throat?
Is my son's enlarged lymph node normal after a diagnosis of strep throat? Lymph nodes can take days ...
How to Prevent and Treat Strep Throat
How to Prevent and Treat Strep Throat