How does strength training relate to sports performance?

Strength training can often mimic movements that are completed in sports.  For example, if you are a basketball player and need to gain inches on your vertical leap then completing exercise such as box jumps may help you to achieve this goal.  Each sport has specific movements and exercise, especially strength training can assist in helping you make gains in your specific sport.  One very important thing to remember will be to keep your body balanced.  Do not focus solely on movements for that sport or do not just focus on strength training.  Be sure to keep your body balanced and add in flexibility training and some cross-training to keep yourself prepared for all obstacles.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

4 Reasons to Strength Train as You Age
4 Reasons to Strength Train as You Age
Regular exercise is vital to health at any age, but especially as we get older—and become more prone to joint and muscle stiffness, and orthopedic inj...
Why have my strength gains slowed down with each workout?
Without a doubt, strength gains come very quickly for most when they first begin an exercise pro...
Why should I do shoulder-strengthening exercises?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
As the least stable joint in your body, your shoulders will benefit from exercises designed to stren...
How should I do an adduction exercise?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
Here's how to do an adduction exercise: 1. While lying on your side, brace your abdomen. 2. Be...