What are the types of tertiary syphilis?

Tertiary syphilis is the third and last stage of the infection. About 15% of people who have untreated syphilis will develop some type of tertiary, or late, syphilis. In some cases, people may develop benign tertiary syphilis in which soft growths called gummas can develop anywhere on the skin or internal organs. These slowly-growing growths can eventually destroy the surrounding tissue. Some people develop cardiovascular syphilis, usually after ten to 25 years of being infected. This type can cause major problems with the heart and its connecting blood vessels, which may cause heart failure or other problems. Neurosyphilis can develop about five to ten years after being infected. This type of syphilis infects the brain and spinal cord and can cause dizziness, personality changes, headaches, muscle weakness, and even paralysis.

Continue Learning about STDs

Is it Healthy to Groom the Hair Down There?
One of the most famous point-shaving scandals of all time involved a handful of underworld bookies, gangsters, and the 1978–79 Boston College basketba...
What is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) in adolescents?
Terrie WatkinsTerrie Watkins
An adolescent is susceptible to the same range of STD's as adults. They may contract herpes, syphili...
Which test screens for sexually transmitted dieases (STDs)?
No single test screens for all sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Some require a vaginal exam and...
Dr. Diane Harper - Could I have human papillomavirus (HPV) even if my pap test was normal?